Listen folks, these are the best pumpkin muffins for a few reasons:
- They taste delicious (which is always important!)
- They are EASY to make. Just some canned pumpkin, a couple of other ingredients and DONE!
- They are so versatile and you can change them up with different variations, which of course I’ll tell you about.
- They are made with whole wheat flour. I love white whole wheat flour. I buy mine at Trader Joe’s and it’s pretty inexpensive there. It has a more mild flavor than regular whole wheat flour but all of the nutritional qualities of regular whole wheat flour.
- Since they’re relatively low in sugar, you can eat them as breakfast, brunch, snack, side dish or any time of day, really. I’ll have a couple of these muffins with a hard-boiled egg and call it a delicious breakfast.
- Try them and let me know what YOU love about them!
NOW, the recipe!
1/3 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup if you need your muffins sweeter
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/4 cup chia seeds
1 14 oz can pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
1 large egg
1/4 cup neutral oil (I used canola)
1 apple, shredded with peel OR 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- In a medium-sized bowl mix together sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and chia seeds.
- Add pumpkin, oil, egg, and apple.
- Mix to combine.
- Divide batter into 12 lined muffin tins.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Remove 1/3 cup pumpkin from can and reserve for another use. Add 1 small shredded zucchini.
Chocolate chips will also make a great addition.
Enjoy the recipe and please let me know if you try them!
Hope you all have a great weekend!